Monday, March 31, 2014

Backsliding

Just when I should be peaking during the early part of the college season, I'm stricken with a serious congestive cold that has forced me to curtail training, and prevented me from racing the 400m at Vanderbilt on Sat.  Terrible timing. This setback might cancel any chances for PRs this season.  

It is so rare for me to get sick and I've done everything I can do to get over this... juice, drugs, vitamins, homeopathic medication, and now ... my third day in a row off the track.  It even affected my head... I was dizzy when I went to bed Saturday night.  This, in some measure, must be what it feels like to be dying... sick and nothing one can do about it.

Coach Page said that if an athlete has chest congestion, it won't go away if one keeps training.  Well, I'm going to give it one more day.... and what a beautiful day it is, sunny and near 70ยบ today on the mountain.  So, I'll just sit here and watch the hawks sail past my ridge, and maybe do a light hike later in the warmth of the day with some friends.

It doesn't matter much anyway, whether I train tomorrow or today, I'll only be able to get 2 workouts in this week before the Sat meet at Centre College in KY.   Might as well be Tue, Thurs.

Congrats to all my friends who won medals at the World Masters ... James, Nick, Bill, Charles, Don.   Maybe someday I'll go to one of those meets.


No comments:

Post a Comment