Thursday, May 10, 2012

Ground zero - restart

Hit the road today for my first run since the injury.


I felt heavy, in terrible shape.  Hard to imagine that 5 days ago I was an elite sprinter for my age, now just an ordinary hack, out on the street, trying to ward off excess lbs.

I fell off the wagon hard while on vacation in Vegas.  - French fries, cheese cake, ice cream, potatoes, bread, bagels with cream cheese... I reached 149 lbs after dinner the evening I returned.  After my run today, a more reasonable 145.6.  I can definitely feel the softening of my belly and the thin layers of jiggy that weren't there just 4 days ago.   If I continued to eat the normal American diet w/ three meals a day:  toast in the morning, sandwich for lunch, big dinner with dessert - I would be well over 150 lbs by next week.  I think with all of the great food that I had while off the wagon, my favorite was a simple fruit and nut bagel with honey almond cream cheese that I had for lunch before hiking at Red Rock Canyon.

My ham is still a little sore in the lower bicep femoris, affecting not the main central muscle belly, but the outside lower part, about 4" up from the back of the knee.  Been doing hot tub, gentle stretches and foam roller massage.  I'm expecting to commence sprint workouts on the track by next week.   Great cool weather lately here.

Today's run - no running on the toes.
1 mile - 6:42
2 min rest
1/2 mile - 3:09
It's going to be a long painful road back to fitness.  I'm going to do resistance work tonight.  I can do light resistance work on the injured ham with no pain, like single leg squats with no weight.  I want to reemphasize resistance and build confidence in my fitness so I won't shy away from the 100m in my last few meets of the season.

News:  Nike Sprint Shoe Risers
Nike was uncooperative as usual.  They could not supply me with risers and seemed clueless on how to get them.   There is a clear disconnect between their customer service and manufacturing.   However, I may have found a source for more sprint risers... stay tuned.  Also, with the eyelets ripping out of both pairs of my Superfly R3s, I may opt for a new pair next season.

I think I'm going to change shoes.   The new Puma Bolt FAAS 007 shoes have an 8 spike plate that accepts risers and is nearly identical to the NIKE Superfly R3s ... and they're more than an ounce lighter.



No comments:

Post a Comment