Monday, May 28, 2012

500s, starts ... In between showers

An evening thundershower dropped heavy rain for 30 min, cooling the temp down 10º from 85º to 75º.    It stopped, leaving a wet track and an opportunity.
450m warmup, stretches, drills
Saucony spikes on 
3 x 500m - 81, 83, 88
blocks starts
I wanted to do 4 x 500,  but a vivid bolt of lightning and a menacing sky sent me cowering to my car.   I set my 500m goal to 80 - 64 + 16 (400/100) or 16 sec 100m splits.  I was slow, especially on the last one.   I was saving some for one more.   I went to do blocks and expected to do one more 500 but another storm came.

Blocks 
I experimented a bit with the new starting technique that uses 'arm push off' from slightly bent elbows.   It seems to work well and lengthens the first step considerably.  Since I use a 'bunch start' with my feet close to the line, upon 'set position', I am leaning considerably over the line with my shoulders and head.   With my shoulders forward of my hands, and considerable weight on my hands, the arm thrust helps propel me forward and upward, so the chances of stumbling are less and the first step is lengthened.  It enables me to put my front foot even closer to the line and the feet a little closer together - making it more of a double leg thrust.   It feels strong, animalistic ... since I am bolting from 'all fours' ... the way an ape might begin a charge.   Hence, I will call this new technique - the "Ape Start."

No comments:

Post a Comment