Monday, December 12, 2011

Endurance intervals - on the mountain


In Sewanee today, it was perfect weather for a workout.

(Updated - see below)

Temperature around 48º at noon, cloudy, a little breezy. Since I don't have any level street distances measured out here in Sewanee, I decided to run 800 repeats on the track. I wanted to run fast today, so I brought my Adidas Adizero racing flats that I hadn't used since my 5k races.

So... after completing a couple hours of yardwork at Iska's house, I hit the track at the University of the South:



Brief warmup, dynamic stretches.

5 x 800m - 2:41, 2:57, 3:06, 3:07, 3:08 - (3:00 to 3:30 rest in between)


I ran the first 800 fairly fast (75, 85) and started feeling exhausted halfway through the second 800. I relaxed and sort of got my 'second wind' and was able to complete every subsequent 800 at about the same speed, even running the last 100m on my toes.

I felt like I could have done more but I started feeling a slight pain in my lower calf, so I played it safe and quit. It was a pretty good workout and I didn't leave feeling totally spent.

My post workout weight is good, about 142 ... but I don't have an accurate scale.

UPDATE:

Major calorie burn today -

After a few more hours of yardwork, I went on a harrowing off road motorcycle trip in extremely challenging terrain. To make a long story short, I got briefly lost and found my way back out of the wilderness after dark on very steep, rocky, and dangerous terrain. Very physically demanding. Got back just as my front tire went flat.

So .... four hours of yard work, 5 x 800m, and a 2.5 hour mountain motocross trip - all on an empty stomach. Nothing to eat all day.

I weigh 141 lbs.

Millrose Invite:

Chuck Shields just invited me to participate in the Millrose Games as a part of the Phily Track Club. For the first time they will be running an M50 4x400m relay. The meet is Feb. 11, 2012. Doubt that I'll go. We'll see.


No comments:

Post a Comment