Saturday, September 30, 2023

stadium stairs, new shoes, food sweetener

Yesterday morning at the MTSU stadium stairs.  It was one of my worst sessions on the stairs.  This 40m stair sprint is one that I've done 30x in a session (10 yrs ago).  Usually try to get 20.  Today, only could do 12, and took generous rest between the final 3.   2 yrs ago about this time I did 16, then a week later, 19.  I'm really out of shape.   By the end of these last stair sprints I was not even getting off the ground between the last few steps due to fatigue.   A reminder that it goes away fast.  I'm sore today.


I had my blood drawn on Thursday morning.  I tested my blood twice that morning.  Blood glucose was 77 and an hour later, 79.   I was up early on not a great night sleep to take my car in for some tire work.  Then had my blood drawn.  Was tired.  I'll bet my T-level will be low.  I think my T and my glucose was higher last time because I did some squats in the morning before my test.  Not really interested in T level, just want to be under 100 for glucose to get the wellness rebate.  After my blood test, I had a sandwich and some sweet coffee and tested it again a bit later, it was 140.  


 

Hoka trainers on 

stretches

12 x stadium stair sprints

141.0  lbs after workout.

I heard recently of a study linking zero calorie sweetener erythritol to negative health effects due to excessive platelet activation which can cause blood clotting which could lead to heart attack and stroke.  Not sure if this would show up in a blood test as an increase in platelets, or if it just enhances the clotting of platelets at a normal level.   Erythritol is in both sweeteners I use - a blend containing stevia and monkfruit.  Still preferred above sucralose and acesulfame potassium, but I'm going to do what I had been doing before, mixing it half and half with raw sugar, reducing my use of both.   Disappointing for sure.  

I got the Hoka Rocket X2s in today.  They are 6.7 oz, almost an ounce heavier than the Vaporflys.  Still very light, comparable to the Rincons.    Just tried them on, will probably not run until Monday if I'm smart.  The feel and fit is really different from the Nikes.   First impression is that the Nike Vaporflys are 'plastic-y' in the upper and non-flexible, like the Maxflys.  The Hokas in comparison are 'rubbery' in the upper and have a stretchy snug fit, a lot like my Adidas Prime SP2 racing spikes, and like the Adidas Takumi Sen 8s.  Not really easy to get on, but still quite comfortable on first impression.   Just walking around the house, these Hokas feel like no other shoe.  Very hard to describe except I feel tall and springy.

Planning to up my running workouts to 2x week - Mon/Fri.  

.

8 comments:

  1. I’ve been prescribed a libre 3 CGM, which displays BG every minute. The app has a lot of canned reports and you can export the raw data in a csv file. I’ve learned some key things to get BG lower and especially during very intense exercise. Great tool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not long before an implant chip that reads many things in real time. Hopefully soon.

      Delete
    2. CGM... I love to have the capability but I wouldn't want that thing on me. I’m sure it's primitive compared to what technology is to come

      Delete
    3. Wearing it is fine for me. Libre 3 is small - about the size of a penny. With the adhesive cover it looks like a bandaid. I don’t notice unless I lay on it. What I don’t like is that you can’t turn off critical alerts so if you get a random bad data point your phone has a loud alarm. Fortunately that has happened only once but certainly could happen at a inopportune time.

      Delete
  2. What was your creatinine, AST and ALT? For AST, what is your labs upper normal? Different labs can use different methods for liver enzymes which shifts the results .

    ReplyDelete
  3. AST= 21 U/L, ALT= 22. Flagged if above 50 and 52.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Creatinine = 1.2 mg/dL (flagged if .5 - 1.4) ... so high side of normal. I once tested real high for creatinine because of drinking huge amounts of iced tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AST/ALT ratio of one or a little less than one is optimal. Creatinine of 1.2 is mildly concerning - although you have a lot of muscle so that might explain it. I would push for cystantin c. Cystantin c is a protein found in every cell in our body so muscle mass is not a factor and it is insensitive that cause creatinine to swing. Your eGFR is 69 which is low. I have CKD and by creatinine mine is 89 and by cystantin c 103. Unfortunately I’m knowledgeable in glycemic/diabetes topics (pre diabetic) and in kidney topics due to health history. I have normal kidney function but with proteinurea which puts me at CKD stage 2 with moderate risk of progression. Anyway please bring up the creatinine and eGFR results with your doctor and advocate for the more accurate cystantin c test. Some of your lifestyle things (high protein and supplements) and early life things (what Minehan sent in the mail) could have caused nephron loss. Worth getting cystantin c and while you’re added don’t forget A1c. https://www.kidney.org/professionals/kdoqi/gfr_calculator

    ReplyDelete