Friday, February 21, 2020

tempo 200s, 300, 200




Beautiful sunny day at the Sewanee track... mid 30ºs with snow still on the ground in shady spots. The bright sun and light winds make the cold temps ok.

I did essentially 2 sets. One tempo and one speed.  I took full rest between sets.

Hoka trainers on 
400m warmup, stretches, drills 
4 x 200m w/ 75 sec rest - 30, 30.5, 31, 32 
300m - 42.11 
200m - 26.70

The 4x200m set was a full second faster on avg than my previous.  I guess I'll start shortening the rest.

The 300m was essentially an event run.  My splits were about 13.2, 14.2, 14.7, straight-turn-straight.  Even though it was run with a 3 step flying start, it tells me that I could probably break 60 in a 400m right now... particularly since this was after a 4x200 tempo set.  Was happy to finish with a sub 27 200m.  Decent times since I've done zero speed work and haven't put spikes on in over 17 months.  Both these long sprints I felt like I was tying up a bit near the end so I'm far from being in race shape.

My plantar fasciitis is officially gone.  I'm kind of itching to put spikes on but I'll give it at least a few more weeks.  Weights later tonight.

145.1 lbs after workout.  This should be coming down this weekend.  Eating well.

single leg squat night


Massage Gun
I bought a budget massage gun, one of a thousand like it for $160 on Amazon from China.  Top of the line guns can go for $600.  It made me a believer. 

As I was warming up with leg swings, I 'felt something' in my right hamstring, like a knot, strain, vulnerability ... so I tried out my new massage gun on it and it worked.  Whatever it was, the gun fixed the issue.  I was able to run fast without reservation.  I'm considering returning this one and getting a better one since the 'stall force' on this one isn't very high.  It only works strongly enough at full speed.  There are guns for about $300 that have a far better stall rating than this one.  I'm going to hang on to this one for a while.  It wasn't fully charged when I was using it.    It may be ok.  I was looking at a Kraftgun which you can buy for $320 with the optional 4 yr warranty.   The gun I bought doesn't have a warranty beyond the 30 day Amazon warranty.

2 comments:

  1. "Massage Gun" (not "message"... daaaaa). Does it really work? For what? How long is your first hand experience with this device? Others comments?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this one is doing the job, probably keep it.

    ReplyDelete