Sunday, December 22, 2019

weights and more cross training

Since my workout on Tuesday, I've been cross training.   Going to the gym almost every night except last night.  Doing stairmaster, glute machine, and squats.   I think I should be good to run some hills at my parents house in FL next week.  Unfortunately, today is raining and cold and I am a little sick with a cold so I won't be running today but do plan on doing something today.  I'm overdue for an ab set and some upper body that I can do at home.

The 'glute' machine I've found is more of an upper ham machine.  Friday evening I did 3 x 15 single leg squats on with 80lbs and my glutes are far more sore today than they ever have been on the glute machine.  Considering I'm pushing my body weight + 80 lbs with one leg a total of 45 reps, that's a good workout and no wonder I'm sore.  Need to work those in more often.  Every exercise gets it's own variety of unique muscle groups. 

I'm feeling like I'm running out of time.  I need to start my track training. I'm thinking I may get a steroid shot in my plantar to get me over the hump and stop running for 3-5 week to get this plantar issue finished.  I can't keep going on with training once a week.  If I get the shot when I get back and take 3 weeks off, that would put me at Jan 21.  Last time I got the shot, I recovered in 4 weeks only to reinjure it again on that damn flat track at '18 indoor nationals.  Then it took 5 weeks off to get back to healthy.   If I don't run til Jan 21, that would be 5 weeks.  Don't know what to do but I need to get healthy. 

I ran some stairs on Friday, not much but some and it seems like I could probably run  hills ok.  Not sure what to do at this point.  Been 3 months now since this PF started.

 Living at Roya's torn up house and sleeping on her porch may have contributed to my present sickness.  Maybe it's because I'm getting old, but anytime I travel, I'm taken out of my comfort zone and it feels like I regress in many aspects... my music practicing, my diet and workouts suffer... my over wellness suffers... no hot tub, no foot massage machine, no bike, no readily available gym open late, can't travel with my lute, no liquid circumin supplement, etc...  Exposed to masses of people (airports, stores, etc...) when I'm mostly isolated in nature.   It's a stressor but necessary to get out of my routine.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy your blog and your approach to training.

    I'm not a sprinter (though I am built decidedly more towards fast-twitch than slow) but I have had a bout with PF before during training for marathons and ultras. What fixed it for me was wearing a boot at night, not a "splint" but a full on "walking" boot to keep the ankle in flexion.

    One other thing to consider with a chronic injury like this is that it might have other origins. Especially since you are coming off knee surgery, having gotten one thing "fixed" only to have another attempt to derail you.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_E._Sarno

    Best of luck on your recovery, I hope to continue to read of progress.

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sonja told me the same thing, I have been sleeping with the walking boot, except when I was visiting my parents before the shot. I stuff a sock under the toe to keep it a bit more flexed.

      Delete