Monday, September 2, 2019

Weekly track session, 'sports camp life'

I think this is going to be my regime for the next few to several weeks.  One track session a week and a lot of biking, swimming, water running, and resistance work.   I've swam a quarter mile a day almost every day this weekend and mixed in some water running, biked up the mountain, and did strength work.

This week has been a typical 'sports camp' life.  I can generally workout every day except Wed and Thurs, my heavier teaching days.  It's possible to get a late weight workout in on Thurs night and an early one on Wed., but not easy.

I've been really pushing my upper body strength.  Can do 20 pullups again, and am pushing heavier weight than I have been previously.  I'm pushing 120 lbs 10X on the 'peck deck' and rowing 170 lbs 10x on the machine.  Thanks to Al's suggestion, I've started doing inverted squats with hanging boots. Starting from a straight hang up to a flexed squat with a situp, then down slow.  It's really challenging, I can only do 10X now.   Really good for core and quads... and a good non weight bearing knee joint strengthener.  Even though I'm quite light, 143ish, I think I'm not all that lean, maybe 12-13% body fat +/- 1%.  I think I'll start eating more protein as I need to begin a more aggressive building phase.

Just as I think I'm getting in pretty good shape... I run a 600m.  lol
Hoka trainers on 
400m warmup, stretches, drills 
600m - 1:53  
3 min rest 
200m - 32 
100m acceleration from standing start
I was going to do a 600 - 3 min rest - 300... but I bailed after 200m.  Just not there yet.  I think I might have been able to gut out a 50 or 51 300m after the 600m, but just not that mentally tough yet.   I'm a long way from workouts like those epic 600, 600, 400, 400 w/3 min rest and then some...   I really do hate such painful foundation workouts.  Not ready for any serious volume yet.  May not be til mid winter.  I tried accelerating from a 3 point stance.  Definitely a stresser on the knee, so I won't be coming out of blocks anytime soon.  But, it's just under 6 weeks from that District meet where I'm planning to put the spikes on.   My knee and feet seem to tolerate one track workout a week ok.  There is sure a lot of crepitus noise in my knees when extending from full flex.  Fortunately, no swelling.

Those Clifton 1s I ordered last week seem to be coming from China.  I hope they're authentic and not some knock offs.  You never know where stuff is coming from when you order on some of these obscure websites.

Anyway, it's been a great weekend of activities.  I must have swam across this lake 50 times this summer; and this weekend was one of the hottest of the summer.  Upper 80ºs F. here on the mountain, upper 90ºs everywhere else.   I'm really in shape... except for running.




No comments:

Post a Comment