Saturday, September 14, 2019

Foundation

It was a beautiful Saturday night at the Sewanee track, even more beautiful for the solitude.. football team is away and no sports teams practicing.  Warm, upper 70ºs and humid, calm winds.  It was like a home coming, a comfortable place to be alone on Saturday night, like many such Saturday's I've spent.  The sun sets increasingly early, now before 7PM.  It's dark before 7:30 and each day is rapidly getting shorter.  It's been an extremely warm and dry Sept.  Although no significant rain in 3 weeks, and none forecast, I saw beautiful thunderhead clouds with lightning in them in the distance.

So, down to business.  Short warmup.  Volume foundation.

Hoka trainers on 
300m warmup, stretches, drills 
2 x 800m - 2:46, 2:51
My first set of 800s since the surgery in January.   Felt ok but hard.   In June '18, I was doing 2x800m workouts in 2:31, 2:35 and 2:38, 2:42... so I've got a ways to go.    In an ideal world, I'll keep increasing this foundation into the fall.  I'm now on 4 days rest, moving my workout up since I have a major biking climb tomorrow evening with Bill M. at Raccoon Mtn.  I am significantly heavier today, after a huge dinner last night of an exceptionally fine seafood chowder, I ballooned up to 149 lbs this morning.  Was 146.6 lbs after workout. 

I've been having a recurrence of some physical issues.  Most distressing is my carpal tunnel and related nerve pain in my left hand / arm has interrupted my sleep.  Going to try and clean up my diet, eat less, drink more water, and give up coffee for a while, see if it helps.  Also, my L heal pain has been coming back, not full fledged plantar fasciitis, but enough to remind me to wear my insert.   Was thinking about buying  pair of max padded Hoka Bondi 6s a half size big, just for walking and every day.

The damn Chinese company that I ordered my Clifton 1s from sent me a freakin' Gucchi belt instead.  What a screw up.  I some how doubt they'll come through with the shoes and I'll end up getting ripped off.  Hard to hold them accountable. 

If I'm able, I'll be doing 800s for the next few weeks, next time out, on Friday.  I may then try Friday and Monday track schedule.  Teammate John C. did a 6 x 800m workout yesterday... kind of like I used to, especially during my 5k days.   If I could tolerate it, I'd run cross country and 5ks, but can't.  I learned from the Bill Collins book years ago the importance of off season foundation stuff like this. 

Since my last track workout, I've done 2 stairmaster sessions and some weights. 


Saturday night on the track....




No comments:

Post a Comment