Monday, May 29, 2017

Schedule update, track news

I think I'm going to start racing again in about 19 days at the AL State meet on 6/17, just to see where I am.  I remember running this meet years ago,  a lot of waiting and standing around... trying to predict when the race would go down, because it's an all-ages meet.  It's 2 hrs away on this side of Birmingham, so why not.  Got a lot of work to do between now and then.

This is my last week free before I go back to living in Murfreesboro half time.  I'll get to train on the MTSU track a few times a week.  The air quality down there isn't as good as it is up here in Sewanee, but it's going to be rough at LSU in July, might as well get used to it.  I'm thinking I might be able to get my student Jacob H. to train with me, and maybe some of the elite MTSU women.  The MTSU women are amazing, they've run 52 in the 400m, 22.90 in the 200m, and 2:02 in the 800m.  I think 5 MTSU athletes have qualified for the NCAA DI finals and they're coming up at Hayward field next week, June 7-10.

Getting ready to commit and purchase trip for WMAC North, Central American and Caribbean Championships in Toronto.

Track News
I think we will see the first sub 43 400m come from Fred Kerley, the Texas A&M senior who just smashed the 25 yr old collegiate record in the 400m with a 43.70.  He's run a 43.35 4x400 split and presently has the 3 of the 4 fastest times in the world right now... and he just turned 22.   His 43.70 is just .05 off LaShawn Merritt's PR and only 6 have run faster in history.  I hope Kerley has an agent and we see him in the Diamond League this season.




No comments:

Post a Comment