Sunday, October 16, 2016

Meet report - Chattanooga district meet

It was a good last tuneup meet for me before the WMAC in Perth, and I'm happy that my foot held up ok, and I ran some decent times.   The blue GPS track in Chattanooga is a good surface and an IAAF configured track.  It was a bit breezy and pushing 80º when the sun finally broke through.

200m - 24.92 (h) 
400m - 55.99 (h)

I wasn't going to run the 200m, but I thought it would be good training, and it was first.  Both races went OK, but I played it a bit conservatively.  Didn't want to get hurt or rig up in the 400m.  Definitely more left in the tank.   Both races, I had outside lanes and never saw anyone through the whole race.  Small meet, they ran age groups together.  I decided to wear my Nike Team USA uniform.  (It's the USA Olympic uniform from London '12.  Thanks to USATF).

200m
Not a great or aggressive start but it felt OK.   From lane 4, I accelerated to full speed around the 120m mark, but relaxed toward the end and coasted across the finish.  Was about 25m ahead of Jack, a new M60 guy who ran a PR 27 low.  (Heh .... listen to the comment from the starter at the end of the video).




400m
From lane 6, never saw anyone, and my start was much better (than the 200m). I played it a little conservatively and hit the 300m mark about .5 to 1 sec off my usual 40 flat split.  But the last 100m felt good, no rigging, and not terribly painful, (unlike a few races I've run this season).  It was decent execution but not pushing to the edge.  I finished before the rest of the older field turned the corner to the home straight, about 100m ahead of 2nd.  This time was about the same time I ran 2 weeks before the Jacksonville Nationals last year (56.23 FAT).  So, I think I'm fairly ready.



The foot was definitely sore afterward but not too painful during the race.  I was able to use my regular meet spikes without socks and with the Rock-tape and pad.

I was very happy to share the meet with Roya (W55) who won both the 100m and 50m races against some women who were in the younger age group.

She's a natural.  Look at this form, and she doesn't even train...  16.50 in the 100m.

Roya Wins Two Gold Medals



I also was inspired to see 90 yr old sprinter Charlie Baker run multiple events. Amazing.

With M90 sprinter, Charlie Baker


No comments:

Post a Comment