Monday, December 9, 2013

This is what I think happened

After a satisfying Aug. - Sept. 'mini-season' ... where I improved significantly in each of my 4 meets, (58.20, 57.22, 56.78, 55.78)...  I went out and ran like an idiot at MTSU.

All of those meets were masters meets, I saw no other runners in any of those meets and won all of them by at least 50m.  Running with guys actually ahead of me was a new experience.   Couple that with an unfamiliar and disorienting track, the distractions led to a failure to execute.  Excuses, excuses.   Well hell, last Monday I ran a 58 at 90% effort with nearly even splits.

Also, not 100%.  Due to a minor injury, I didn't do a solid tempo endurance workout for 7 days before the meet and took most of the meet week off.

Even more excuses...
I've been doing ALL my training on a 400m outdoor track and meticulously timing/pacing each 100m on every run with the Gymboss timer, always in lane 1 or 2, cones at the 100m mark.  Running even distances like 400s in workouts.  Running in a meet on track where I can't see all the way around it... like running in a hallway, is a bit disorienting.

The race.
I started fast.  I was amazed those guys took more than 2 turns to make up the stagger on me.   I must have turned the 200m at 25.50 or so, I was about 100% the whole way.   I was fresh and hyped.  (Still ran 26.04 about an hour later after being totally toasted in this race).  When I hit the break, the leader was only 12-15 meters ahead... although he ended up finishing in 51.90, and about 40m ahead!   That's how much time I lost.  The type of fatigue I felt after this was mind numbing, left me in a daze.  Painful.

I gotta block that stuff out if I'm going to run with the boys.   I might do some speed workouts on Sewanee's indoor track since I'm going to try the 400 there.   2 1/2 laps.

Probably will start training again on Thurs.   Still feel the hip/ham thing and a slightly sore groin.  Need to get healthy and working hard, the college season starts in earnest in Jan.  Opportunities to race most weekends all the way through April and outdoors.

Taking some time off, focusing on music, enjoying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment