Thursday, April 26, 2012

Off to Penn Relays

Good to go.

Today I catch a plane to Phily for the Penn Relays.   Tomorrow, I'll be racing in the M50 4x100, 4x400, and possibly the 100m.   Chances are, I probably won't run the 100m since I am 2nd alternate, but I'll be there and ready just in case.   Not in the best shape to run a 100 since my blocks work has been minimal and have mostly been focused on the long sprints.

Today I hit the track for a light workout.   It felt good.  Still feel the groin issue but just slightly, and the more I run, the less I feel it.  I did a good warm up, stretching and cool down.   Just enough to get a slight sweat.   I feel good to go but do feel like I've been taking it easy... short workout Wed, day off Thurs, easy workout today.

600m warmup on grass, stretches, drills 
saucony spikes on 
300m - 47   
200m - 28 
2 blocks starts 
300m cool down on grass, stretches, drills

Got about 2 hrs before I leave and packing will be easy.  Just my meet clothes and spikes.  I'll be going right from my race to catch a plane home on Fri eve.

The 4x400m relay is going to be mass craziness.   25 teams running all in the same heat.   No blocks, the start will be like an 800m with two staggered groups running to a breakpoint on the back stretch.   By the time we get the baton, I think our team should be close to the front, likely in medal contention.  That'll kick up the adrenalin.   Probably should have have practiced running with a stick in my hand but I'll be sure not to drop it.

The 4x100m should be kind of a joke, I doubt we'll be in medal contention but I'll have to blast the anchor against some really fast guys.   Handoffs are critical in ths race and some of our team will be trying handoffs for the first time 90 min before our race.   I just hope no one gets hurt in the 4x100 - especially me - so we'll be good to go for out best medal chance in the 4x400.

Whatever happens, it'll be fun and a great experience that I'll be happy to share with my dad.  Who would have thought it would be me to extend the 'Yelverton track legacy' into old age?


1 comment:

  1. Actually, I would have. There are several traits necessary to do what you are doing and they have always been apparent. These same traits have led to your success as a musician. (not many people can start a instrument at 17 and succede)

    ReplyDelete