Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Day off from track, resistance

Yesterday, I had a slight groin strain that feels much better today, so I'm going to take the day off from the track and do some resistance bands to strengthen the adds, maybe a jog around the block tonight or a brisk half mile if I feel like it. This is a symptom of the pubalgia issue I've had, and it is helped tremendously by targeted resistance work - particularly single leg squats and adductor bands.  The affect of these exercises on a strain is almost magical... it seems to immediately take away the symptoms of a strain.

Having a strain, even slight, is not where I wanted to be before the Penn Relays - since I will anchor the M50 4x100m GPTC relay team.   If this had been a significant strain, it would feel worse today, not better, so I'm feeling OK about it.   I will be good to go.  Unlike a ham or quad, I can run with a groin strain if necessary.  It's only an issue in the 100m.   Just wish I had more time with the blocks and running short sprints.  I still may get into the M50 100m as an alternate.  I was also hoping to run the 100m on Tues 5/1, but may wait until 5/5.

Today is a beautiful day, sunny 70sÂș - the last day of school for the academic year.

Tomorrow, I won't need to leave for the airport til 12:30 pm so I'll go to the track in the morning for a light workout, nothing fast.

The Penn Relays Masters 4x400 that I will be running is a '50 and older' event that will also include all the 'B teams' as well as the M60 teams.   It will be a crazy event with 25 teams running in a single heat.   No blocks, a mass start like the 800m.   So glad I will not be running first or second leg.   It will be confusing.   If Sprint Force America brings even 2 members of their 2011 team, they will be hard to beat.

2 comments:

  1. I used to have bad adductor issues, but have kept them at bay in recent years by focusing on leg lifts that target the area.
    The key for me was to keep the small of the back pressed against the floor, which moves the load higher, above the quads. When I did this, I could quickly feel it getting into the muscles that need strengthening.
    Pressing the back against the floor, do alternate leg lifts up to 90 degrees. You can scissor the legs outward and try turning the feet at different angles to reach different spots. You also can add ankle weights to boost resistance, and do the lifts on a bed or couch for a larger range of motion.
    Anyhow, if you haven't used this approach, it might be worth a try. I'm no longer in fear of pulling something (at least in that region), and actually feel the added strength has helped a bit with performance.
    Good luck,
    Steve Ballinger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Bill...see you at the finish line!

    ReplyDelete