Wednesday, November 22, 2017

first tempo intervals / hills

Cool in Sewanee, 45º and a light breeze but sunny.  I hadn't done a set of tempo intervals this season so I started gingerly, a much easier set than my standard 4 x 300m w/ 2m rest.  I tried 3 x 300m w/ 2:30 rest, and it didn't end real strong.  Kind of expected in my 148 lb body.
Hoka trainers on 
300m warmup, stretches, drills 
3 x 300m w/ 2:30 rest - 48, 49, 56.5 
3 x 100m hill sprints 19, 18, 19
The first 2 were fine but the third one suffered.  I normally try for 48 and usually end up with 49-50 avg on a 4 x 300m w/ 2min.  Today, I struggled to complete 3 x 300m in 51 avg with even more rest.  Next time, maybe I'll try for 50-51 for the first few and maybe will be able to complete a more consistent set.

Afterward, I went to Roarkes Cove hill to sprint some 100s.  These were run hard but a bit slow, usually 17-18.

Kind of feels like I've hit the downward slope toward M60.

Fitness

147.7 lbs. after workout.

I've always thought that I have to work harder than my colleagues to achieve similar results.  Being short, with less than great form, I've been able to do the bitchin' hard work to get me into the sub 56 range at least a few times every season.  Now my limiting factor is foot issues.  Due to plantar issues with my left foot and joint issues with my right, I need more recovery and less volume.  My hip and back issues are much better.  My left plantar issue is both in the heel - stemming from an injury in Toronto where someone stepped in front of me while I was running full speed in my spikes, I had to come down hard on my heel to miss him - and a little in the ball of the foot (metatarsalgia) which is completely alleviated by taping and padding.  It's not getting worse and I think it will be manageable, but has prevented me from doing the every other day regime I used to.  I need at least 2 or 3 days in between track workouts.

I've been crosstraining everyday this week.  Last two days a 5 mile hilly mountain bike ride each day, Monday - weights and leaps, Tues - 25 min Stairmaster, 2000m row.

I'm also eating much less since my fall party, but as I know, it takes at least 2 weeks to see any fat reduction after a new diet regime.  I plan on resuming the amino, creatine, protein supplements and hopefully I'll get leaner and stronger.

Right now, I'm actually fairly fit.  Could probably run a 60 flat 400m in spikes right now, but making that transition from my present 'normal level' of fitness to a 'competitive level' of fitness for the 400m, is about the hardest task I've ever undertaken... And it's not getting any easier.   I'm sure it's not as hard for those who ran competitively in college track and are 6'4", and who used to run sub 50 in their youth, but for me it's real hard and includes significant diet restrictions and good lifestyle choices.

Races

I wish I was ready to race Dec 2 at Vandy, it is their only meet with no restrictions on entry.  Their other meets require coaches permission.  Realistically, I won't be ready to race til at least January and was thinking about starting at the KMS meet on 1/28 at the Crossplex.   It's a mixed level meet but generally has attracted elites and even Olympians.   Maybe I'll do the TSU meet in early Jan to see where I am, although it's a slow flat track.




No comments:

Post a Comment