Saturday, February 14, 2015

Sewanee sprint and workout

Today is the last decent day for weather for the next week as winter takes hold beginning tonight.

I raced a 55m dash at the Sewanee Tiger Invitational.  Not feeling particularly fit and a bit heavy at 146 lbs, I still managed to run slightly faster than last year in a PR for this event that I seldom run, and presently tied for #1 M50 in USA, although many faster people have logged in in the more standard 60m race.

7.27 - 55m

Unfortunately, the video came out unfocused but here's a frame of the race, I'm in the orange speed suit.   I did manage to beat two guys in the overall list.   I came in nearly tied for last in my heat, so not totally uncompetitive.

I really felt bad for fellow masters guy Don D., he pulled a groin warming up to run the hurdles.   After a 3 hr drive from Atlanta, he had to withdraw from the meet.

I did ok, no strains or pulls... so afterward, I went to the outdoor track for a workout.

Since track workouts in this severe part of the winter are far and few in between, and... I have some joint issues, I need to make each workout really count and do some suffering.

Today was only my fourth workout since the Emory meet three weeks ago.

It was a nice sunny afternoon but windy.  It was pushing 50º but probably upper 40ºs.   Temperatures are expected to drop into the single numbers tonight with brutal wind chills, then snow and ice for 3 days, Winter Storm Watch has been posted here for Sunday night, so I'm glad I did something today.   I was pretty much already warmed up from the race I had just run.


Saucony Ride trainers on 
stretches, drills 
3 x 400m with 2 min rest - 68, 70, 73

I'll be back in the weight room, probably Monday night.

Now, looking forward to watching the Millrose Games!


1 comment: