Monday, October 10, 2011

Time to end the vacation

Taking a new tactic, as coach Page recommends, just address my general fitness, do not stress the abs in any way. Obviously the therapy has reached some diminishing returns and the longer I go without therapy, the better and more healed I feel.

This past weekend with Iska was a weekend of sedentary luxury with a big, rich, carb-infused Sunday breakfast out that included apple crepes, muffins and potatoes. I weigh 152 lbs but the good thing is that I feel almost healed. I can do double leg squat jumps with zero pain.

Sometimes I think this thing is just a nerve issue. Experimenting with some pressure points and massage, when I deeply rub the inguinal canal area, it almost always allieviates the pain. I still think this is athletic pubalgia, I get a general feeling of soreness and 'tugging' on my pubic bone and lower pelvis when doing exercises, although it seems to be mostly in the left inguinal area.

I desperately need some diet control and some cardio tonight. Stair stepper machine, at least 25 min tonight, some weights, and a light dinner. I have a vacation trip this weekend at the lake, and a concert in 2 weeks, so gym time is limited. I hope to walk or run stadium stairs next week and then start some grass running in Nov.

UPDATE:
More experimenting with pressure points has yielded results. For example, when pressing on the left inguinal area and engaging the abs in a leg lift, the pain disappears.

This makes sense with what I've read on a page from the UVA Dept. of Orthopaedic Surgery, Their definition of Sports hernia includes a nerve issue:
Athletic hernia: weakness in the transverse fascia (posterior wall of inguinal canal) which may allow localized bulging that compresses the genitofemoral and/or ilioinguinal nerve causing a chronic activity related pain in the groin and it’s surrounding structures
They also mention: "shearing forces across pubic symphysis" ... which explains the 'tugging' I feel on the bottom of my pelvis, and "Slow onset of dull and aching pain ...deep pain."

Yep, that's it. Interesting to read what UVA says:
"No imaging will show/diagnose an athletic hernia ... but good for ruling out other diagnoses"
I just found out that I'm going to have to shell out of my pocket over $400 for that freakin' MRI that showed NOTHING. ($350 deductible)

Knowing that compression on the area significantly reduces pain, relief that continues even after I stop the compression, I wonder if I should consider an inguinal support belt when I return to running? Worth a try.

I feel more positive and some progress after last night's cardio work. Should be running soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment